Hurst & Heritage Trace – Treat Back Pain
Back pain is a common health issue and is a common problem among Americans. About 22 million Americans visit chiropractors annually, of these, 7.7 million people are seeking relief from back pain from various causes. Chiropractic spinal therapy is a safe and effective spine pain treatment, that reduces pain and decreases medication. After an extensive study of all currently available care for low back problems conducted by a federal government research organization (the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research),it has been recommended that low back pain sufferers choose the most traditional care first.
Spinal manipulation has been recommended as the only safe and effective, drugless form of first professional treatment to be used for acute low back problems in adults.
There is evidence that many of the standard treatments used for back pain surgery, spinal injections and painkillers are often unsuccessful and can even worsen or increase the problem.
Back Pain Facts and Statistics report from the American Chiropractic Association (ACA):
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work. In fact, it is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office (next to upper-respiratory infections).
- As many as 75 to 85 percent of the population will experience a back problem at some time in their lives. In most cases, this pain is mechanical in nature – it is NOT caused by a serious medical condition, such as inflammatory arthritis or fracture.
- At least 31 million Americans experience lower back pain at any given time.
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives.
Back injuries can be caused by but are not limited to; sports injuries, working around the house, working in your garden, or a car accident. The lower back is the most common location of back injuries and pain.
Patients and their health care professional now look beyond the standard treatments of drugs and surgery and have access to a wider range of non-drug therapies for pain.
A few alternative medicine practices include but are not limited to:
- Biofeedback – involves learning to control muscle tension, blood pressure, and heart rate for symptomatic improvement.
- Chiropractic spinal therapy
- Topical treatments
- And many options available
Taking pain medication every day is not for everyone weather it’s because they are unable or unwilling, nor can everyone or should have surgery for painful conditions.
The positive news is that mainstream medicine is now supporting new technology which provides patients with a wider variety of noninvasive non-drug management techniques available for treating back pain than ever before.
A few of the most widely accepted in extensive pain management programs are the following:
- Exercise – It is highly recommended that you consult your doctor before you start exercising to ensure you are improving your condition and NOT making it worse.
- Manual techniques – manipulation of affected areas by applying force to the joints, muscles, and ligaments.
- Behavioral modification – use of behavioral methods to optimize patient responses to back pain and painful stimuli.
- Superficial heating or cooling of skin – These pain management methods include cold packs and hot packs, ultrasound, and diathermy and should be used in conjunction with exercise.
- Electrotherapy – Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). This therapy attempts to reduce back pain by means of a low-voltage electric stimulation that interacts with the sensory nervous system.
A growing number of people are turning to alternative medicine because they don’t want to be dependent on prescribed medicine and/or over the counter and the side effects that go along with taking these drugs but these drugs are also often ineffective or too expensive.
It is strongly advise that you try these simple and successful back pain relief alternatives. Unlike pharmaceutical or surgical “The quick fixes”, not only will pain relief alternatives heal the underlying causes of back pain, but they can also spare you from any additional harm,
Remember the goal of alternative back pain treatments is to increase your mobility, reduce your pain and diminish your dependence on drugs. Please give us a call to schedule an appointment to discuss Hurst & Heritage Trace – Trinity Orthopedics, we treat back pain and have many options for you.